Volunteer with Settled
Settled relies on our huge team of volunteers spread across the UK. We currently have about 80 amazing active volunteers, working across more than 20 European languages. Trained and supported by staff coordinators and managers, volunteers also work together (usually remotely) in really positive collaboration – we’re delighted that people often refer to fellow volunteers as ‘family’.
Settled offers volunteers the chance to support vulnerable EU citizens and their family members with their applications under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS); and in accessing associated rights. You will assist our beneficiaries by providing high quality immigration advice with the support of our service coordinators and senior advisers. We also have volunteering roles for Ukrainian or Russian speakers for our new Ukraine schemes advice service.
Most volunteering roles are home-based – answering queries on our phone helpline (through an app), advice email, or language-based Facebook groups. Rotas are at agreed times to suit you. Some volunteering can also be face-to-face in certain areas – something we are keen to develop.
We will train you on the EUSS, and you will be accredited by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) to provide Level 1 (EUSS) advice through Settled; and similarly for Ukrainian refugee schemes. We will give you all the tools to make a positive and professional difference; and you will be covered by our indemnity insurance. You will gain new skills and confidence, such as providing immigration advice by email or phone; and you will join a positive ‘family‘ of dedicated and friendly volunteers of many nationalities and language groups across the UK.
A legal or advice background is not essential for our general volunteers – we are keen to hear from anyone with commitment to this cause; any related professional or lived experience is of course useful. We also require the help of volunteers with a background in immigration law, or experienced immigration advisers to join our team working with more complex cases.
We are currently recruiting for volunteers!
We would particularly like applications from people who would like to do any of the following roles:
- Give advice on the EUSS, and speak any of these languages: Czech/Slovak, French, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, or Romanian; or who live in Wales (any language)
- Support our senior advisers on more complex cases, and who have already have some experience giving immigration advice
- Support our outreach and comms work OR assist with outcomes data monitoring, both vital to help us grow and support more people.
- Help us populate a new ‘Settled Culture‘ website promoting grassroots European arts etc in Wales
Full details of each current volunteering opportunity are on the links above. Please complete and email this application form.
Many thanks for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you! If you have any questions, please email here.
Other ways you can help!
Settled needs your help to sustain its charitable activities. It is easy to donate to Settled – we hugely appreciate any cash donations.
And there are lots of ways to fundraise to support Settled, for example:
- Organise a community event: musical performances or table-top sales of cakes, books, clothing and bric a brac are an easy and sociable way to raise funds.
- Sign up for a sponsored challenge: walking, running, cycling and other races encourage participants to raise funds for their chosen charity.
- Corporate giving: speak to your employer about schemes which they run to fundraise for charities and nominate Settled.
- Donating the proceeds of a book or other project (here’s a current example, for which we’re very grateful!)
Please do contact us to let us know your plans, or to discuss ideas. Thank you.