Government guidance for the Homes For Ukraine scheme (Ukraine Sponsorship scheme) is here. This contains the most up-to-date information, and has a Ukrainian translation.

Please click on the guidance boxes below for Settled’s practical summaries and answers to frequently asked questions. 

1. Who can apply?

Any Ukrainian national with an approved sponsor ordinarily resident in Ukraine before 1st January 2022, unless they are a child born on or after that date.

Family groups who are applying must have the same approved sponsor.

If an applicant is non-Ukrainian, they must be part of an immediate family group that includes an immediate family member (partner, child under 18, parent of child under 18, fiancé(e) or proposed Civil Partner) who is a Ukrainian national and qualifies under the Ukrainian Sponsorship Scheme.

Children under the age of 18 will require parental consent notarized by an authority approved by the Ukraine government.

If a non-Ukrainian applicant is applying as a partner/fiancé(e)/civil partner of a Ukrainian national they must have been in a “genuine and subsisting relationship” with the Ukrainian national before 1 January 2022 and meet immigration rules related to relationships with a partner (Appendix Relationship with Partner).

2. Are there any time limits for applying for a visa?

At the moment there is no deadline for the Ukraine Sponsorship scheme visa . It’s essential to check official sources for the most up-to-date information regarding program availability.

3. Who can become a sponsor under the Homes For Ukraine sponsorship scheme?

A UK resident over the age of 18, of any nationality, provided they have at least six months’ immigration permission and can provide accommodation for a period of at least six months.

There are suitability checks including Police National Computer (PNC), Disclosure and Barring Service for criminal records and warnings, (DBS), and a visit from the local authority to ensure that the accommodation is suitable. Anyone sponsoring a child or a family will undergo an Enhanced DBS check.

Please contact us for more detailed advice.

4. Do you help with finding hosts for Ukrainians coming to the UK?

No, we do not help with ‘matching’ – ie finding a sponsor to stay with a host in the UK. We also do not find Ukrainian families for potential hosts.

We advise against looking for a host on social media because of the potential risk of being scammed by fraudulent or abusive people online.

Here is a list of matching organisations approved by the UK government, who do help match Ukrainians with hosts: Citizens UK (through USPUK), Refugees at HomeResetWorld Jewish ReliefLove Bristol, and St John of God Hospitaller Services.

5. If I came to the UK and then became a sponsor for my relatives, my three-year leave to remain will expire earlier. Will my family be able to stay in the UK or will they have to leave the country at the same time as me?

If you are sponsoring a family member under the Homes for Ukraine, their leave to remain in the UK is not linked to the length of your stay. They will be able to stay in the UK legally until their leave expires.
The situation is different for minor children.

6. If I can't find a sponsor, can I apply to the Scottish or Welsh governments?

The Scottish Government has been a super-sponsor for Ukrainians fleeing the war, but this programme is currently suspended. Applications submitted under the super-sponsorship programme before 13 July 2022 have been considered and visas will remain valid. Information on the government portal is available here

The Government of Wales has acted as a super sponsor for Ukrainians. On 10 June 2022, this programme was suspended. who have received a visa can travel and will receive support as previously planned here.

7. Do I have to pay the sponsor a rent?

You do not have to pay rent if you live with a Homes For Ukraine sponsor.

The sponsor may ask you to pay utility bills (e.g. gas/electricity, water, etc.) and council tax. However, the sponsor must agree this with you before you arrive. Also, remember that you are entitled to social benefits during the term of your visa. These payments will help you cover possible living expenses.

8. Can I apply to the Ukraine Scheme if I’m not Ukrainian?

Applicants to the scheme must be Ukrainian nationals, unless they are applying as part of a family group with their immediate family member who is a Ukrainian national and who qualifies under this scheme.

9. Do I need to upload evidence of my residence in Ukraine?

When you complete the online application form you should provide supporting documents. Applicants to the scheme should upload evidence that they were living in Ukraine before 1st January 2022.

You can upload official documents issued by the Ukrainian authorities, such as utility bills, bank statements, medical letters, mortgage or tenancy agreements, employment letters, or education letters. If you are unable to provide evidence of your residence, you should upload a letter explaining your personal circumstances.

Changes to pre-settled rules

The Home Office announced some changes to EUSS pre-settled status rules on 21st May.

Please do not contact Settled to ask about these changes until we are clearer, as otherwise our service may become overwhelmed.

It is important that we can continue to respond effectively to beneficiaries in need of urgent casework advice and support.
We are waiting for more detail, and will update our website information, Facebook forums, and leaflets as soon as possible. Many thanks for your patience and understanding.

The Home Office announcement is here.

We’re here to help you with your Settled Status to remain in the UK. We have 100 volunteers on hand who can provide advice in all EU lanaguages.

Are Children Involved?

Verified by MonsterInsights