How do I prove my right to employment?

From 1 July 2021, you need to prove your right to work by using either of the following:

  • Your digital status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • Your valid biometric residence card, if you’re a non-EEA family member

If you have applied and you are waiting for an answer, you can use the ‘share code’ linked to your digital Certificate of Application (CoA), or a printed copy of your CoA if you received it in PDF format.

How do I access healthcare?

With settled or pre-settled status you are able to use the NHS for free, so long as you meet the ordinary residence test.

A person is ordinarily resident if they are normally residing in the UK apart from temporary or occasional absences.

If you started living in the UK before 31 December 2020, you can apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to access emergency treatment during a temporary stay in the EU country.

Apply for your EHIC here:

How do I access social security benefits?

If you have settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you have a permanent right to reside in the UK and can access social security benefits if you meet the relevant criteria. 

If you have pre-settled status, you may need to meet other requirements for benefits, such as Universal Credit, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, or Child Benefit.

If you have been refused benefits, or if you have any specific queries or issues relating to your rights, please email us at [email protected]

What rights do I have to education?

If you have pre-settled or settled Status you can access primary and secondary education, as well as higher education, in the UK.

If you have been residing in the UK and/or EU/EEA/Gibraltar/Switzerland for longer than 3 years, you will be able to access university home fees and student loans. However, we suggest that you check the information available on the website (, and with individual institutions if other rules apply.

Students who started their higher education course in the UK in 2020/21 academic year will continue to benefit from home fees and access to financial support regardless of when they began living in the UK.

Where can I get help if I get stuck?

Settled is here for you if you require further help with your EU Settlement Scheme issue. We provide free, mulltilingual advice, accredited by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

Please call us on 0330 223 5336 or email [email protected]

Changes to pre-settled rules

The Home Office announced some changes to EUSS pre-settled status rules on 21st May.

Please do not contact Settled to ask about these changes until we are clearer, as otherwise our service may become overwhelmed.

It is important that we can continue to respond effectively to beneficiaries in need of urgent casework advice and support.
We are waiting for more detail, and will update our website information, Facebook forums, and leaflets as soon as possible. Many thanks for your patience and understanding.

The Home Office announcement is here.

We’re here to help you with your Settled Status to remain in the UK. We have 100 volunteers on hand who can provide advice in all EU lanaguages.

Are Children Involved?

Verified by MonsterInsights