I am a child or young adult who has left care

I am a child or young adult who has left care

If you are a care leaver, the Local Authority that provided your care may still have responsibility for your application, depending on your age. It is their responsibility to identify eligible children, including those where the authority has parental responsibility, those where there are shared care arrangements and care leavers.

You can check first with Coram Voice the category that inmost appropriate to your circumstance before you apply.

The Home Office will ask for three things when you make your application:

  • Proof of identity;
  • Proof of residence;
  • A declaration of any criminal convictions.

The Home Office has produced guidance on what they will accept as proof of residence.

If you think you can make the application yourself, and have your passport or national ID card, you can start your application process here.

If you do not have a smartphone, or a phone with the right technology, you can send your documents by post or have your documents scanned at a scanning centre. You will have to make an appointment and there will be a charge for this (usually around £14 per application).

If you have trouble accessing a computer to make your application, the Assisted Digital service could help you with computer access, but can’t help you with your application.

Below you will find links to organisations that may be able to advise and assist you with your application, or direct you to people that can.

Legal aspects

If you have a query or concern about the legal aspect of your immigration status, or you have a criminal conviction you are concerned about, we suggest you contact our charity partner Here for Good:

Email: hereforgood@bindmans.com

Telephone advice line: 020 7014 2155 which is open on
Mondays 09:30-11:30
Wednesdays 11:30-13:30
Fridays 13:30-15:30

The Law Centres Network may also be able to provide advice, depending on where you are in the UK.


If you are in Wales you can contact Newfields Law on info@newfieldslaw.com, who are retained by the Welsh Government to provide free legal advice and support.


In Scotland Settled has partnered with Citizens Rights Project, who will be able to guide you to support and advice on applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland guidance and advice on the EU Settlement Scheme is offered through Advice NI, the independent advice network.

You can also leave a message here for us to contact you, so we can direct you to further support. We usually reply within one working day.