From 1 July 2021, you will need to prove your right to work by using any of the following:

  • Your digital status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • Your valid biometric residence card, if you’re a non-EEA family member

If you have applied and you are waiting for an answer, you can use the ‘share code’ linked to your digital Certificate of Application (CoA), or a printed copy of your CoA if you received it in PDF format.


With Settled or Pre-Settled Status you are able to use the NHS for free, so long as you meet the ordinary residence test.

A person is ordinarily resident if they are normally residing in the UK apart from temporary or occasional absences.

If you started living in the UK before 31 December 2020, you can apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to access emergency treatment during a temporary stay in the EU country.

Apply for you EHIC here: 


Social Security Benefits.

If you have Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you have a permanent right to reside in the UK and can access Social Security benefits if you meet the criteria.

If you have Pre-Settled Status, please contact Citizens Advice (citizensadvice.org.uk) to find out if you have to meet other requirements for benefits, such as:

  • Universal Credit
  • Pension credit
  • Housing benefit
  • Income support
  • Child benefit 

If you have Pre-Settled Status and have been refused one of your benefits, we suggest that you also contact your local Citizens Advice office – please visit
www.citizensadvice.org.uk for more information.


If you have Pre-Settled or Settled Status you can access primary and secondary education as well as higher education in the UK.

If you have been residing in the UK and/or EU/EEA/Gibraltar/Switzerland for longer than 3 years you will be able to access university home fees and student loans. However, we suggest that you check the information available in the Gov.uk website (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/studying-in-the-uk-guidance-for-eu-students) and with individual institutions if other rules apply.

Students who started their higher education course in the UK  in 2020/21 academic year will continue to benefit from home fees and access to financial support regardless of when they began living in the UK.

Where to get help if you get stuck.

Settled is here for you if you require further help with your EU Settlement Scheme issue.

You can call us on 0330 223 5336 or email [email protected]