Settled Status for Those in Precarious or Insecure Work

In the UK, around one in nine workers are engaged in precarious employment. This includes low paid self-employment, zero-hour contract work or agency work. Many work in the so-called gig-economy, relying on apps to secure their ‘gigs’, or brief service delivery assignments.

You may not have a firm employment contract or a National Insurance Number (NIN). You may well move regularly from one shared house to another and do not necessarily hold a bank account. Regardless of the job insecurity, this means that you could also find it hard to provide proof of your residence in the UK.

Here are some first steps to take:

  1. Make sure your passport or ID documents are up to date before starting the application. If you don’t have a valid ID document, please urgenty contact your embassy or consulate to get a new passport or ID card;
  2. Gather all proof of residence you can find since you moved to the UK, including bills, tenancy agreements or travel documents. For a full list, refer to the Home Office checklist.
  3. Contact your employer(s) to get payslips.

If it is difficult for you to get access to computer, you can try and access one at a local library, or the Assisted Digital service may be able to help.

If you have any other query or concern about the legal aspect of your immigration status, we suggest you contact our charity partner Here for Good:

Legal aspects

If you have a query or concern about the legal aspect of your immigration status, or you have a criminal conviction you are concerned about, we suggest you contact our charity partner Here for Good.

The Law Centres Network may also be able to provide advice, depending on where you are in the UK.


If you are in Wales you can contact Newfields Law on, who are retained by the Welsh Government to provide free legal advice and support.


In Scotland Settled has partnered with Citizens Rights Project, who will be able to guide you to support and advice on applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland guidance and advice on the EU Settlement Scheme is offered through Advice NI, the independent advice network.

You can also leave a message here for us to contact you, so we can direct you to further support. We usually reply within one working day.

Trade unions

For any further advice not directly related to your immigration status we suggest you make contact with an appropriate trade union:

Please share your opinion…

We are improving the Settled website all the time.

Please answer these questions to help us.