Settled Status Advice for Over 60s in the UK

The EU Settlement Scheme applies to all EU Citizens, regardless of the length of their stay in the UK or whether they are married to a British Citizen or not.

If you arrived before 31 December 1988, it is also likely that you already hold Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), a blue photo ID associated with a stamp in a passport. If that is the case, you do not need to apply, as Settled Status is a form of ILR. However, there may be reasons to do so. For instance, if there is a deal, EU citizens will get additional rights and a longer period of leave of absence from the UK (five years, instead of two).

If you held Indefinite Leave to Remain but cannot provide proof of this, for instance, you have lost your documents or they have been destroyed for some reason, and you arrived in the UK before 31 December 1988, you may also be able to apply under the Windrush Scheme.

You may experience other obstacles, such as problems with accessing information online or operating a mobile phone to scan documents. If there is no relative that can assist you, a Scanning Centre and the Assisted Digital service could help you with this.

Age UK ( operates a helpline which is open every day between 7am and 8pm, and while they can’t help you with your application, they may be able to direct you to other resources for support and advice. You can call them for free on 0800 678 1602.

Settled has a leaflet with further information for the elderly and people with severe health conditions, and their carers. Please right-click to download:

Legal aspects

If you have a query or concern about the legal aspect of your immigration status, or you have a criminal conviction you are concerned about, we suggest you contact our charity partner Here for Good.

The Law Centres Network may also be able to provide advice, depending on where you are in the UK.


If you are in Wales you can contact Newfields Law on, who are retained by the Welsh Government to provide free legal advice and support.


In Scotland Settled has partnered with Citizens Rights Project, who will be able to guide you to support and advice on applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland guidance and advice on the EU Settlement Scheme is offered through Advice NI, the independent advice network.

You can also leave a message here for us to contact you, so we can direct you to further support. We usually reply within one working day.

Please share your opinion…

We are improving the Settled website all the time.

Please answer these questions to help us.