Settled Status for Victims or Survivors of Modern Slavery

If you do not have access to your passport or ID card, this could be because someone else has hold of this and will not give it to you. You may be too afraid to ask, or not even know where it is or who has it.

You may also live in shared accommodation that is provided by the person you work for’ but you do not have a rental or work contract that could prove where you live and how long you have lived there.

You may have been brought to this country on the promise of a job, but your passport was taken away and you were forced to work long hours for little or no pay, but could not or cannot quit your job without your ID card or passport.

In all these cases you are likely to be a victim of modern slavery and will have to seek help before you can make an application Settled Status.

An organisation that can help you to leave the situation you are in is Unseen and this is their helpline:

08000 121700
Modern Slavery Helpline

Hope for Justice also offers support and providence on spotting the signs of human trafficking and where to report a concern. You can also contact Hope for Justice on

0300 008 8000 (local rate call)
or email

If you are in immediate danger call 999

If you have been able to leave your conditions and are now safe, you may still have problems providing the proof of identity and residence required for the EUSS application. In which case we suggest you contact our legal immigration charity partners Here for Good.

Legal aspects

If you have a query or concern about the legal aspect of your immigration status, or you have a criminal conviction you are concerned about, we suggest you contact our charity partner Here for Good.

The Law Centres Network may also be able to provide advice, depending on where you are in the UK.


If you are in Wales you can contact Newfields Law on, who are retained by the Welsh Government to provide free legal advice and support.


In Scotland Settled has partnered with Citizens Rights Project, who will be able to guide you to support and advice on applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland guidance and advice on the EU Settlement Scheme is offered through Advice NI, the independent advice network.

You can also leave a message here for us to contact you, so we can direct you to further support. We usually reply within one working day.

Please share your opinion…

We are improving the Settled website all the time.

Please answer these questions to help us.