Settled Status for the Homeless/Those with No Fixed Address

Being homeless or having no fixed address won’t prevent you from applying for Settled Status, but you may have problems in providing some the information the Home Office asks for.

For example, you may find it difficult to provide proof of your residence in the UK. You may also not have access to your passport or ID card.

You may not have an email address or have easy access to a computer.

If you have an Android smartphone and you have a passport or national ID card, you can check if you can download the app and start your application process.

If you do not have a smartphone, or a phone with the right technology, you can have your documents scanned at a scanning centre, but will have to make an appointment and there may be a charge for this (usually £14 per application).

You will have to complete your application on a computer, but you may have no access to one.  There are often computers available for public use in libraries. You can also contact the Assisted Digital service, which can help you with computer access. They can’t help you with your application.

The Home Office guidance on what they will accept as proof of residence includes a statement from an official charity or other organisation you may have had contact with over a period of time. So if you have no address, this could help you with that part of the application.

Below you will find links to organisations that may be able to help you to provide evidence of your residence. They may also be able to assist you with your application, or direct you to people that can.

Legal aspects

If you have a query or concern about the legal aspect of your immigration status, or you have a criminal conviction you are concerned about, we suggest you contact our charity partner Here for Good.

The Law Centres Network may also be able to provide advice, depending on where you are in the UK.


If you are in Wales you can contact Newfields Law on, who are retained by the Welsh Government to provide free legal advice and support.


In Scotland Settled has partnered with Citizens Rights Project, who will be able to guide you to support and advice on applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland guidance and advice on the EU Settlement Scheme is offered through Advice NI, the independent advice network.

You can also leave a message here for us to contact you, so we can direct you to further support. We usually reply within one working day.


If you are affected by homelessness and you have not made contact with an organisation that offers support for this, we strongly recommend you do contact those that meet your needs and operate in the UK location where you are currently.

UK wide

Big Issue


St Mungo’s 
Street Link


Shelter Scotland


Shelter Cymru

The Wallich
Street Link

Northern Ireland

Shelter NI
Simon Community
Home Plus

Please share your opinion…

We are improving the Settled website all the time.

Please answer these questions to help us.