Settled Status for Victims or Survivors of Domestic Abuse

Your personal circumstances may make it difficult for you to apply for Settled Status, or to provide the evidence of residence and ID required. You may also have concern for your safety and the safety of others, or about how the information you provide will be used.

It could be that you do not have your passport or national ID card, or that it is difficult for you to prove you live in the UK and for how long. If you do not have your documents, we suggest you contact your consulate or embassy in the first instance, to see if you can get new documents and declare the old ones lost or stolen.

There are a number of ways you can provide evidence of your residence in the UK and the Home Office has provided a list of what documentation they may accept.

If you have any of these documents, please keep them in a safe place or give them to someone you trust to keep them for you. Try and take these documents with you, if it is safe to do so if you choose to leave your current situation.

If you do not have the required documentation or would face difficulties in getting hold of these, we suggest you seek further advice from the Rights for Women advice line.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse and want help, support and advice you can find out more information on support in your local area from Women’s Aid in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

If you are in immediate danger, dial 999.

If you are confident you have or can obtain the documents you need, you can start your application here. If you do not have the required smartphone, you can send your documents by post, or have your documents scanned at a scanning centre, although you will need to make an appointment and there may be a charge (usually around £14 per application).

Legal aspects

If you have a query or concern about the legal aspect of your immigration status, or you have a criminal conviction you are concerned about, we suggest you contact our charity partner Here for Good.

The Law Centres Network may also be able to provide advice, depending on where you are in the UK.


If you are in Wales you can contact Newfields Law on, who are retained by the Welsh Government to provide free legal advice and support.


In Scotland Settled has partnered with Citizens Rights Project, who will be able to guide you to support and advice on applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland guidance and advice on the EU Settlement Scheme is offered through Advice NI, the independent advice network.

You can also leave a message here for us to contact you, so we can direct you to further support. We usually reply within one working day.

Please share your opinion…

We are improving the Settled website all the time.

Please answer these questions to help us.